ITINERARYThe Favela Tour is the perfect opportunity to live Rio de Janeiro from a different perspective. With almost 1,000 favelas that house about 20% of the population, Rio has a social reality that remains unknown for most people that do not live in the city.
After being picked up at your hotel, listen to comments about the historical and social context of favelas in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil. After arriving in Rocinha, the largest favela in Brazil, learn more about the creative architecture, public services, and the local culture. Feel welcomed by locals that support your visit, which changes the common perspective of favela being related to violence and poverty, as well as understand more about security and infrastructure policies in the favela’s everyday life.
Inside the community, get off the van and walk through the alleys and narrow streets, stopping at a local art studio with its terrace and stunning views. Also stop at a bakery, thus contributing to the local economy.
Descending from within the entire community, visit the day care center União de Mulheres Pró-Melhoramentos da Roupa Suja, a local NGO that receives support from the tour through monthly donations of baby food and other recreation and culture services for children.
In the lower part of the favela, finish the tour on the footridge designed by Oscar Niemeyer, the most famous Brazilian architect in the world. Enjoy a stunning view of the entire community and observe all its magnitude and beauty.
PICKUP & DROPOFF
- Daily tours leaving in the afternoon
- Estimated duration: 3 hours
- Monday to Friday: between 12:30pm and 2:00pm (departure) and 5:00pm (return) - subject to change according to the traffic conditions.
- Saturdays and Sundays: between 10:30am and 12:00pm (departure) and 3:00pm (return) - subject to change according to the traffic conditions.
- Roundtrip transportation from hotels and hostels in South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme) and Downtown (Lapa and Santa Teresa) areas of Rio de Janeiro - if pick-up is not available at your location you will be directed to the nearest available pick-up point.
- Please contact the company responsible for the tour to confirm the pickup time and availability.
- Roundtrip transportation via air-conditioned vehicle.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional guide with live tour commentary in English, Spanish, and Portuguese
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from hotels and hostels in South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme) and Downtown (Lapa and Santa Teresa) areas of Rio de Janeiro - passengers not staying at one of the hotels in our pickup list will be informed of the nearest pickup point and time.
- Drinks and meals
- Gratuities (optional)
- The tour will be confirmed when the minimum amount of passagers is reached
- Children 4 and younger are complimentary, provided they do not occupy a seat.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult - 12 and younger are complimentary
- Roundtrip transportation from Rio de Janeiro's South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme) and Downtown (Lapa and Santa Teresa) zones via air-conditioned vehicle
- Please inform the name of your hotel to confirm the nearest pickup point and time.
- This tour operates rain or shine
- At least 1 calendar day in advance, full refund.
- No refunds for cancellations on the day of the tour.